SUPERVISOR: Director of Exhibition Design
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Part-time/Non-exempt/On-Call
Working as part of a team of art handler/installers, this position is primarily responsible for facilitating the installation of exhibitions in the Museum per the Museum exhibition program.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Installing and deinstalling exhibitions and installations according to the plans of the Exhibition Designer, Registrar, or designated Curatorial staff.
- Fabricating exhibit furniture and mounts (under the direction of the Exhibit Designer).
- Preparing and packing/unpacking objects for travel and assisting with incoming and outgoing shipments.
- Moving objects and /or materials under the direction of the Exhibit designer, Registrar, or designated Curatorial staff.
- Completing finish work for exhibitions or installations including lighting, leveling, cleaning, labeling, and signage.
- Maintenance and housekeeping of galleries and exhibits.
- Perform other duties and services as necessary to accomplish the Museum’s goals.
- Must have reliable transportation.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand and walk; sit for long periods of time; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 70 lbs.
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience with art handling in a museum, gallery, or professional art studio is preferred.
- Experience working with hand tools such as hammers, drills, cutting tools, sanders, etc, as well as experience with painting including, but not limited to the use of tape, plastic, small and large brushes, rollers and extension poles.
- Knowledge of safe art handling procedures.
- Ability to work under pressure and adhere to aggressive changeover schedule.